Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Review: The Twilight Series

I just finished, well, started and finished, the Twilight series over the weekend. I've been sick, so I've had some extra time on my hands.

As a literature minor, I'd been curious about the books I'd heard were "well written." I wanted to read them to see what the big deal was.

Starting the books, I was initially annoyed. The melodramatic character of Bella Swan is a whiny (irritatingly so), obsessive, dark, misunderstood misfit, or so she feels. But, as I continued the first book, I got attached to its brilliance. Stephanie Meyer captures the emotions, passion, fear and romance for her primary audience of romantically inexperienced preteen and teenage girls. She creates an overwhelming dichotomy of passionate love and perfect friendship with the characters of Edward Cullen and Jacob Black.

In the end, I would never call the series a literary masterpiece. However, its brilliance to entrap the hearts of girls everywhere is undeniable. Even as I was reading it, I felt myself believing in what Edward and Bella have, despite knowing how unrealistic their relationship is, outside of the whole vampire thing.

Deep down, every girl wants an "Edward"--a man who is incredibly passionate, who believes and shares with her that he would die without her. She wants a love relationship where the spark never dies, where every kiss is more intense than the last and where the chemistry tears through her insides. And, she wants a man who longs for her to be with him at all times, who misses her intensely when they are apart, who protects her in every situation and who knows without a doubt that she is his soulmate.

And then, there's real life. Real life--where sparks die, kissing becomes habitual and the chemistry fades. But, for Meyer's primary audience, real life and love are unknown. And that is why Meyer is brilliant in her writing. She takes something that is unknown (love) and unrealistic (vampires) and meshes them in a way that, because the love part seems like it could be the realistic, the vampire part doesn't seem so far off. Obviously, few people actually believe in vampires, but Meyer's story leaves the love part wide open. Over the four books, the love between Edward and Bella is unstoppable, compared to Romeo and Juliet (New Moon) and Catherine and Heathcliff from "Wuthering Heights" (Eclipse), and undeniably deep.

However, the relationship between Edward and Bella is potentially dangerous to young minds as it gives women the idea that the Edward/Bella relationship is real. Even as I was reading the book, I felt a longing for something like that...something I know does not exist. And, as I have the knowledge and experience to know that my marriage is incredibly deep and encompasses more of the aforementioned passions than many, it is a little frightening to think of the expectations that a young, romantically inexperienced woman may pull from this series.

And that is why this series is irresistible. The action is never-ending, giving the books an urgency. The love story is timeless, capturing the hearts and minds of its female readers. And, though Breaking Dawn does fall a little short in comparison to the first three books, the final book is destined to be the lesser as Bella's transformation from vampire to human will ultimately be tragic unless it is even more far fetched. Then again, we are talking about vampires...

Overall, I'd give the series a "read." After doubting it for months, it surprised and pleased me far more than I'd expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment