Thursday, October 22, 2009

Five years ago

Five years ago today, I went on a date with a boy I had become friends with. After his persistence to date me, I asked him to go to a movie with me. Little did I know it would be my last first date.

We went to Pizzeria Uno in the Fashion Valley Mall in San Diego. We split a deep-dish pepperoni, with mushrooms on half--the same toppings we still order today. He ordered a beer, non-alcoholic because neither of us were 21. He paid, he now admits, "just in case it was a date."

We walked to the theater, purchased two tickets to "Shark Tale" and walked around the theater while we waited for our movie to start. We talked about our likes and dislikes, our classes, our friends and our families. At one point, he told me he had a brother who was the same age as my younger sister, and I said it would be fun to go on a double date with them sometime. And he asked, "So, is this a date?" I laughed because, of course, it was. We walked hand in hand back to the theater, and he put his arm around me while we watched the movie. He was a perfect gentleman, and even asked if he could kiss me when the night was over. (He would tell you now, just for the record, I said he had to wait until our second date. And I would tell you now that I should have let him kiss me then.)

On our first date, I had no idea that I would spend the rest of my life with him. Compared to now, I knew so little about him. I didn't know that his favorite band is Metallica, or that he loved watches, or that he'd be so kind a gentle despite his manly exterior. I didn't know he'd graduate cum laude, or that he'd be so well-rounded, or that he'd be the best friend I'd ever had. And, it's amazing that compared to what I'm sure I'll know about him in 10 or even 20 years, I know so little now.

What I do know is that first date was the first day of the rest of my life with the man of my dreams, and when I wake up to that sweet face each morning, I know I am a blessed woman.

Happy five years, my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment