Thursday, September 3, 2009

Comforting vs. Fixing

As a newlywed, I'm still learning things about the Lumberjack, and how men in general think.

Last night was a prime example. I've been frustrated in an area of my life recently and don't have too many options in regards to it. Last night, I let it get the best of me and got upset about the situation. The Lumberjack, being the amazing husband that is he, tried to comfort me in the best way he knew how--by fixing it. And, luckily for both of us, I was rational enough to see it.

While all I wanted was to be told, "It's gonna be OK; you're doing your best," he told me I need to buck up and be happy because I am blessed beyond many other people. So, I didn't get what I wanted. And as he was talking, I could have gotten angry that he wasn't comforting me how I wanted. Instead, I was thankful that he was comforting me the best he knew how.

Like most men, the Lumberjack thinks in terms of fixing things. And instead of getting irritated at him for not doing things "my way," I need to be thankful that he's willing to do something at all. I am, more than anything, a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment