Monday, August 31, 2009

Marrying for money

I read this in an article today and it made me chuckle:

"Young women, here is some advice:
Don't throw your hot, youthful selves away on young, financially unproven men. They may never become successes, and if they do, they'll probably just chuck you for younger models when you're too old to successfully compete again in the marriage marketplace.
Instead, marry rich guys while you're still taut enough to snag them. They may dump you, too, but at least you'll have nice, fat divorce settlements with which to pursue true love, or the pool guy, whoever comes first.
Notice I didn't say it was good advice.
But that is the gist of a new book, Smart Girls Marry Money: How Women Have Been Duped Into the Romantic Dream -- and How They're Paying for It, by Elizabeth Ford and Daniela Drake."

I like nice things as much as any girl, but is that what our society has come to? I see the benefits of not marrying for lust and taking a more business-motivated approach to marriage, but at the same time, give me a break.

I tell the Lumberjack that I married him for his money. It's in jest, of course. We married when we were both penniless, just out of college and ridden with student loans. But the thing is, it's not about the money, nor should it be.

The Lumberjack and I grew up in different worlds--I with a silver spoon in my mouth, he with a plastic one. And, despite our very different socioeconomic upbringings, we both arrived at the same conclusion: money doesn't buy happiness, nor does it secure a marriage.

Yes, money is nice. Life is "easier" when you don't have to wonder if the rent will get paid this month. But I also know that I married a man who makes wise financial decisions, and even if I never have a million-dollar mansion overlooking the Pacific, we'll be OK. Personally, I'd rather a lifetime in a condo with him than a mansion with someone I don't love.

But, is that common anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment