Wednesday, April 8, 2009

High School Self

I attended a semi-prominent high school in Orange County--Santa Margarita Catholic High School (SMCHS). Products of my high school include Carson Palmer (NFL player), Amy Rodriguez (Olympic Gold Medalist), and....Doug Reinhardt?

Maybe it's just me, but being cute and gallivanting around with Hollywood starlets (Hills actresses, Amanda Bynes, now Paris Hilton) doesn't seem like a promising life goal. Then again, at least he has something in common with them.

Photo Courtesy of www.buzzhollywood.com

Mr. Reinhardt, as far as I know, graduated in my high school class in 2004. (What I mean by that is, I know he attended SMCHS with me, but I do not know that he graduated. For arguments' sake, we will assume he did.) He was a jock, a baseball jock, which didn't mean too much since we had a stellar football team and they were the popular ones. He was cute, even then, as you can tell. While I didn't personally know him, I had been warned to stay away as I was told that he apparently (a) knew he was cute and was full of himself and (b) was a jerk. And so, I did.

There's something about high school that, for the most part, makes me want to leave it in the past. However, when Mr. Reinhardt's face flashes on my TV screen at home during an E! Soup commercial, I'm right back in the not-so-glamorous but snobbishly-wealthy SMCHS days.

It all makes me wonder, how much of our adult selves are developed in high school? I'd like to think there is very little of my high school self that is alive in my adult self today. I'd like to think that the most of the girl I left in high school is a former version of me. But, is it?

From what I was told about Mr. Reinhardt in high school, and who he seems to be on TV and in gossip mags now, it doesn't seem like all that much has changed.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Mr. Reinhardt is humble, and generous, and kind, and loyal and loves Paris as much as she claims he does. I hope he's changed, because then I can have hope that all is not molded pre-high school, and that I am not the childish, insecure, shy, needy girl that I used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment