Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Goal: To Be a Stay-at-Home Mom

I have a confession to make.

And it might not make everyone happy.

In fact, it may upset people who believe it's a waste of time and a step backwards in the feminist movement.

But here it goes:

As much as I enjoy working and being a career woman, my goal in the long run is to be a stay-at-home mom (SAHM).

There, I said it.

I know, I know: I have a Bachelor's degree and a career. Don't get me wrong, I love both. But when it comes down to it, putting my baby in daycare everyday so I can continue with my career is simply not an option. Like my own mother, I want to be there when my baby says his/her first word or takes his/her first step.

And for that reason, the Lumberjack and I have discussed not starting our family until we can financially afford for me to comfortably stay at home and raise our kids. That point of financial stability may not come for 10 or even 15 years, but it's worth waiting for so that I can accomplish my goal of always being there. (With what I know about my Lumberjack's work ethic, I'd be shocked if it was longer than five years.)

But right now, I feel kind of lost. Being a stay-at-home mom isn't reality now, and until it becomes now, I'm at a standstill. Unlike other goals, there isn't anything I can do to make this goal become a reality any sooner.

Reading Whitney's blog, My Journey Toward the Glamorous Life of a Housewife, inspires me.

I know it will all be worth it one day when I can look into that little face and have the confidence that I will not miss a moment. But until then, all I have is the hope and dream that it will all be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm starting my PhD in the Fall, and I have the same goal for myself one day! And, as far as the feminist movement goes, I think it's more about having the freedom to do whatever it is you want - be that running a company or teaching your kids the alphabet.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete