Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Reflection: The Engagement

It was May 21, 2006. The Lumberjack and I had talked about getting married, we had shopped for a ring, we had even read one of those "101 questions before you get engaged" books. We were spending a wonderful weekend at my parents' home since he was living in San Diego, and I just knew he was going to propose to me that weekend.

But he didn't.
Oh, he asked a question, all right. He asked, "Wanna go out on a date next weekend?"

Well, sure.

He wouldn't tell me where we were going and, after my disappointment from the previous weekend, I didn't want to get my hopes up. (I mean, who I am kidding? I made sure my nails were freshly manicured for two months before he popped the question, just so I'd be ready to show of my new ring the second it was on my perfectly-polished finger.)

I didn't want to get my hopes up but, being the silly girl I am, I pulled a silky white dress out of my closet and borrowed some pearl earrings from my mom. I even bought some cute heels to go with the dress, you know, just in case.

He drove me downtown and took me to Blue Ginger, a swanky Chinese restaurant I had been dying to go to. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was incredibly romantic. The meal ended, and I suggested we go to the beach and watch the sunset. He suggested Shelter Island, a place we'd go to watch the boats on the harbor and be alone.

I agreed. When we arrived, he took me over to the Bali Hai and I had a good feeling it was finally coming. I knew his dad had asked his mom to marry him in the gardens behind the Bali Hai. But he kept walking. Again, I was disappointed but tried not to get my hopes up.

We walked over to a gazebo shaped like a shell that had been built in the grass near the water. We stood in the middle and looked up at the middle of the shell.
And when I looked back at him, he was down on one knee.
I started freaking out. (He later admitted to me he was so excited, he was shaking.)

He told me how he brought me to this spot because we had shared to much time there. He then asked me if I would do him the honor of becoming his wife. "YES, YES, YES!"

We hugged; we kissed; we laughed.
And then he said, "Oh, by the way, my friends Tori and Dave have been over there taking pictures of the whole thing."

WOW.

He knows me well. Not only did he pick out the ring of my dreams, he knew I'd want photos to commemorate the best day of my life, up until that point at least. It was the most romantic day of my life, and everything was absolutely perfect. I didn't even cry until the photographers left.


Looking back at the photos from that day makes me smiles. We were so young, so in love. The great thing about it is, we're still young, and even more in love.

So many people had told me that marriage would change our relationship, and not necessarily in a good way.

I loved the Lumberjack when he proposed to me, but it was a fraction compared to my love for him now.

Everything about that moment was perfect, but it was just one of many more perfect moments together.

Marriage was the best thing that has ever happened to me--to us--but I'll blog about that later.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a lovely story! I love the fact that it was all photographed too!

    I have just stumbled upon you blog and really love your style of writing. I'll be back to read more!

    ReplyDelete