Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Banana Bread: Breakfast OR Dessert

Last night, when I got home from work, I noticed four over-ripe bananas sitting on top of my fridge. They were much too ripe to eat by themselves, but I knew they'd be just perfect for banana bread.

At my bridal shower, right before the Lumberjack and I got married, I was given a perfect banana bread recipe from a family friend. It's moist, simple, and delicious.

Ingredients
3 to 4 over-ripe bananas
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup of nuts (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mash bananas in bowl. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake in two to three mini-loaf pans for 30 to 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when you test it.

Serve warm for breakfast by itself.
But, since I made the banana bread after dinner, I was hankering for a little dessert. I served the bread warm, right out of the oven, and topped it with a scoop of slow-churned Butter Pecan ice cream. Since I hadn't added nuts to the banana bread recipe, the nuts in the ice cream were a perfect complement. It was scrumptious. So much, in fact, that may need to have it for dessert again tonight!

1 comment:

  1. I think if I made that...it would encompass all meals for that day...I LOVE banana bread. LOVE. IT.

    ReplyDelete