Monday, August 24, 2009

Flank Steak and Spicy Garlic Potatoes

In our home, Sunday night is steak night.

A great cut, which is less expensive than, say, New York strips, is a flank steak. Marinated properly, this cut is tender, juicy, and full of flavor. I generally switch between my favorite two marinades: Italian and Teriyaki.

And they're more simple than they sound. For both, I place the steak in a gallon-size Ziploc. For Italian, I add one to two cups (depending on the size of the steak) of Italian salad dressing into the bag. For Teriyaki, I add one to two cups of Teriyaki sauce. Marinate in the fridge for 6 to 24 hours before grilling.

While the Lumberjack does the grilling, I make the sides. Last night, I made my own recipe of Spicy Garlic Potatoes. Since there's only two of us, I started with 4 baking-sized Russet potatoes. I peeled them, cut them into quarters and added them into a pot of simmering water. Once they were soft, after about 30 minutes, I tosses them into my KitchenAid mixer, along with 1/8 cup of half and half, 1/8 cup of low-fat milk, 2 tablespoons of sour cream, and one stick of butter. For the spicy garlic part, I added in "Kay's Spicy Garlic Seasoning," a mixture she brought back from Big Creek. I suspect it's seasoning salt, cayenne pepper and some garlic power, along with some pepper. I added about 1 1/2 teaspoons of seasoning, mixed well, and served hot. Delish!

I would offer pictures, but it's tough to get a picture of a steak before the Lumberjack has made his move. When there's steak up for grabs, he doesn't wait for cameras and food arranging and blog preparation.

Spicy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients:
4-5 medium Russet potatoes
1/8 cup half and half
1/8 cup milk
1 stick butter
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons of spicy garlic seasoning

No comments:

Post a Comment