Thursday, May 21, 2009

Las Vegas, Here We Come!

In celebration of our one year wedding anniversary, the Lumberjack and I are taking a very last-minute, sexy trip to Sin City--Las Vegas. Of course, to us, it's not really Sin City. We hardly gamble (penny slots only, with a $20 limit), and we drink in moderation (mostly because I can't hold my liquor at all). To us, Las Vegas is about the food, the shows, the pools, the shopping, the nightlife and the overall extravagance of the city.
The Hotel
We booked a room at the MGM Signature, in one of the three new towers right behind the MGM Grand. The rooms are timeshares, privately-owned condos, and hotel suites. Using one of my favorite freebie/almost freebie sites, I booked a junior suite over Memorial Day weekend for $170 per night. Gotta love Vacation Rentals by Owner.

The room, as seen below, overlooks the strip, has a king-sized bed, a queen sofa pullout, a kitchenette and, the best part, the hugest marble and granite bathroom I've ever seen in a hotel suite.
The Transportation
In the past, the Lumberjack and I have driven to Vegas. From San Diego, it's only about 5 1/2 hours. The drive there is always great--snacks, music, cheesy driving games--but, the drive back is brutal. Dehydration, too much sun and exhaustion do not make good companions for a drive back through the desert. This time around, we've decided to fly.

Flying is both good, because we save 3 hours of time each way, but bad, because the first leg of our flight takes place in a 10-ROW plane. From Carlsbad to Los Angeles, we are flying in a plane that is about the length of two cars. OK, maybe three. And. That. Scares. The. Crap. Out. Of. Me.

I don't mind flying. It's the falling part I mind. Specifically, I despise taking off and landing. My poor Lumberjack nearly loses the circulation in his hand each time we fly because I am gripping it so hard during takeoffs and landings. I know it's a short flight, but I'm still nervous.

The Plan
This weekend will also be the first that we are not with Dutch. In fact, he has not had a night apart from us since we got him, over 6 months ago. Usually, he travels with us. After much debate of whether we should bring him to The Animal Keeper (where he goes for daycare), leave him with my parents or hire a house sitter, we decided to invite our dear friends Drew and Christine, more commonly known to Dutch as "Uncle Drew" and "Auntie," to spend a weekend at our place and watch over our little boy.

Clearly, he's a bit attached. And, he knows he's cute--a troublesome combination.

So, Las Vegas, here we come. My Lumberjack, I can't wait to spend the weekend with you!

1 comment:

  1. Trust you had an amazing trip!! Awesome, fun entry!

    ReplyDelete