Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Reflection: Dating

Over Christmas of 2007, the Lumberjack and I spent five days together visiting each other's respective families. It was those five days that solidified what I wanted in my life--him.

When I was 15, I started a journal. It wasn't just any journal; it was a journal to my "future husband." I wrote in it monthly, sometimes daily, expressing the hope I had for the man I knew God would one day bring to me. Perhaps it was naive, but at 15 I knew that five or 10 years later, it could be an invaluable gift for the man I waited for. I also knew that the man I would feel comfortable with giving something so raw and unedited would be the man for me.

After the five days that the Lumberjack and I spent together, I started addressing my journal to him. He was the first man I could ever picture myself growing old with, and the only one since then. He was the only man I could ever imagine giving my journal to. He was the first and only man I ever wrote to in the journal and when he proposed to me, I gave it to him.

One week after our Christmas together, he told me he loved me. And I loved him back.

The following months flew by. Our freshman year was nearly over and we had "the talk," the one that determines where "this is going." That May, we both agreed we were serious, and we could make the three months of long distance work.

Long distance was hard. We were only an hour and a half away from each other, but we only saw each other on weekends, sometimes every other week, which was a big change from every single day. But, distance does make the heart grow fonder, and my time apart from him made me realize that I always wanted to be with him.

There were so many things that made me fall in love with the Lumberjack. He's like no one I'd ever met before. The Lumberjack has a tough, manly exterior--he loves sports, rock music, beer and UFC. But, there's a softer side to him that loves fancy dinners, shopping, sunsets on the beach and romantic comedies. He'd suggest watching the movie "Underworld" together and then sing Tim McGraw's "Barbecue Stain" song to me. One night we'd watch a fight together, and the next he'd take my out to a five-star restaurant and surprise me with Tiffany's jewelry. He is one of the most well-rounded people I've ever met, and that made me fall even more in love with him.

The second reason I fell madly in love with the Lumberjack was his 100% acceptance of who I was. I never felt like I had to put on an act for him to like me. I could be me--goofy, crazy, nerdy, studious, food-loving, emotional, passionate me--without having to worry that he wouldn't like it. The truth was, he loved me as madly as I loved him, and there was and is very little that could keep us apart.

By July, he took me engagement ring shopping. I picked out a beautiful platinum-set, octagon-shaped solitaire diamond in a cathedral setting. But I wouldn't get it from him until nearly one year later.
Above, our sophomore year of college before our engagement: one of my favorite pictures, despite my poorly chosen perm.

No comments:

Post a Comment