Friday, May 1, 2009

Freebies/Almost Freebies

I have a confession: I have become obsessed with free/so-much-on-sale-that-its-almost-free stuff.

For the past month or so, I've received a sample of something in the mail a few times a week. It started out because I just wanted to try some products: Starbucks instant coffee, new Quaker chocolate raspberry granola bars, or new Tide Total Care detergent. But, it's grown. I've now received Kashi cookies, Huggies wipes, Zyrtec, Crest teeth whitening kits, Dr Pepper coupons....the list goes on.

But, hey, it's free!

I've also become mildly obsessed with huge sale/discount sites. I love finding jewelry marked 85% off, or trips to Hawaii for about $500 a person (including room and airfare), or kitchen gadgets that are marked ridiculously low.

But, what kind of a person would I be if I kept it all to myself?

Here's a list of my favorite free/huge discount sites:

1. Travelzoo.com. Anyone who knows me know that this IS, in my opinion, the best travel site out there. I flew round trip to London for $600 through this site. I booked a $700/night Las Vegas room in the Planet Hollywood Hotel for $79/night. I've flown throughout Europe for $2 each round trip flight. Seriously. I haven't booked a vacation without using travelzoo.com in years.

2. Bradsdeals.com. If you're not a member of this site, join today. I cannot believe the deals posted daily here. Two days ago, I saw a KitchenAid stand mixer for $129 (usually $300). Yesterday, they had a Bulova women's watch--WITH DIAMONDS--for under $200 (usually $995). The deals change every day, and they're always items marked way down.

3. Spaweek.com. This amazing site holds spring and fall events each year where qualifying spas in your city offer $50 treatments. Yes, you CAN get a massage from an expensive spa for just $50. I have personally participated in the last two Spa Weeks (Fall 2008, April 2009) and was impressed. During the fall event, I received a $50 Swedish massage (usually $85) from a spa near my house. It was hands down the BEST massage I've ever received. Last month, I received a Hot Stone massage (usually $95) from the same spa, which was equally amazing. For $50, some spas also offer facials, microdermabrasion, 60-minute pedicures, etc. They also also discounted services at participating spas throughout the year. Sign up today!

4. Walmart.com. While I rarely actually shop at Wal-Mart, their Web site (http://instoresnow.walmart.com/in-stores-now-free-samples-and-trials.aspx) always has free samples available. From wipes to detergent to allergy medicine, you can order a sample before you commit. I love that I can try something (like Crest whitening strips) before I spend money on a product.

5. Gilt.com. I am a relatively new member of this site, and I'm loving it. Each day, they host new sales online. New DESIGNER sales. Lucky for my bank account, and my marriage, I don't go to a lot of place that I can rationalize having a $1,000 handbag (originally $2,500) or a $150 silk top (originally $350). But, if I did, this would be where I buy my entire wardrobe.

5. Restaurant.com. I love food. And, I love eating out. Restaurant.com helps me eat out without breaking my budget. This Web site sells gift certificates for a reduced rate. The catch is, you have to spend a certain amount, which you're going to anyway. For example, they sell a $25 gift certificate to McCormick and Schmicks for $10. The catch is you have to spend $35 at the restaurant. Still, if you spend $35, that means you're only paying $20. And, restaurant.com has major sales. I have purchased a $25 gift certificate for $2. That means, for a $35 meal, I'm only paying $12. Come on, you can't beat that. Only certain restaurants qualify, but within 30 miles of my house, almost 200 restaurants participate. Check it out!

6. VRBO.com. I love travelling, but staying in a hotel can get expensive. Not only do you have to pay for the room, you have to plan on eating every meal out. Not so anymore. VRBO (vacation rentals by owner) offers condominiums and houses at discount prices. For our honeymoon, the Lumberjack and I used VRBO to stay in the most amazing condo in Hawaii (http://www.vrbo.com/131306). It was every bit as good as the photos on the site. The condo was beautifully decorated and a fraction ($169/night) of what we would have paid staying in a hotel. Plus, it was 2 bedrooms/2 bathroom and had a full kitchen! Not to mention, it came with a new Jeep for us to drive. It doesn't get much better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment